MindWise Signs of Suicide (SOS) 360 Virtual Workshop
About this event
Signs of Suicide (SOS) is an evidence-based youth prevention program designed to teach students how to identify signs of depression and suicide in themselves and their peers, equipping them with tools to understand and express their behavioral health concerns with trusted adults. SOS also trains school professionals, parents and other adults to recognize at-risk students and take appropriate supportive action.
OSSE will host the SOS 360 Workshop to prepare DC public and public charter school staff to deliver SOS to students in-person, virtually, or in a hybrid learning environment. Participants will learn:
· Best practices for facilitating classroom discussions about depression and suicide with students in grades 6-12 using SOS Curriculum,
· Ways to provide youth suicide prevention training for teachers and school staff,
· How to coordinate with school administration and community partners for support, and
· Tips for reaching out to parents as partners in prevention.
All participating schools will receive a one-year subscription to the SOS Curriculum to implement at their campus.
Participants are required to complete a self-paced intro course prior to attending the virtual training. All pre-work and virtual details will be provided to participants at least one week prior to their training date.
Who should register:
· OSSE encourages entire school behavioral health teams to attend (schools will identify one staff member to serve as the point of contact for digital curriculum access).
Recommended participants include school-based behavioral health providers (social workers, school psychologists, community-based organization clinicians, counselors), health teachers, special education coordinators, and school leaders.