Building a Culture of Compassion and Creating Supportive and Safe School Environments – September 22, 2021
DC School Behavioral Health Community of Practice meeting “Building a Culture of Compassion and Creating Supportive and Safe School Environments” shared evidence-based practices and other resources that can be applied by school teams to promote supportive and safe school environments.
- Monique Leopold, Ed.S, Trauma-informed Practices in School Practice Group
- Danielle Palmer, Ph.D., Trauma-informed Practices in School Practice Group
- Alex Vann, MA, Building Capacity, LLC
- Jennifer Fechter, MA, Mind. Inc.
- Ina M. Slaughter, M. S., School Psychologist, DCPS
- Crystal Dorn, Med, School Psychologist, DCPS
- Andre F. Edwards, LICSW, DC Department of Behavioral Health (DBH)
The meeting objectives are to:
- Introduce the key elements of safe school environments (4R’s: Relationships, Routines, Resilience, and Reinforcement).
- Share evidence-based and best practices related to self-care and wellness (e.g., mindful self-compassions) that can be applied by school teams to build resiliency and address anxiety, grief, loss, and trauma in schools.
- Showcase examples of building a culture of compassion in schools.
- Reflect on key elements of safe school environments and resilience building strategies to integrate them into the School Strengthening Work Plans.
Padlet for September 22, 2021 DC CoP meeting: DC CoP Meeting – September 22, 2021 (padlet.org)